Thursday, August 11, 2011

J.B. Blunk House

This bronze sculpture is by one of J.B. Blunk's sons.

On the way back from our vacation in Oregon this July, my boyfriend Jesse and I stopped at his parents' home in Pt. Reyes Station. Ever since I first started dating Jesse in 2010 I had heard about this artist's residency in nearby Inverness, former home to the artist J.B. Blunk. We finally visited on this trip, and the house was just as incredible as everyone had told me.




It may look like a hobbit hovel, but there are many exquisite details. Apparently Blunk spent some time in Japan, which is evident in the sliding front door, my favorite feature. Blunk built the house by himself over many years.

The living room

Jesse is friends with Mariah, daughter of J.B. Blunk, who runs the artist residency. She told me that she was born on this couch back in the 70's. The coffee table displays Blunk's rough-hewn sculpting technique that can be seen throughout all of his work. After he died, the famous L.A. gallery Blum & Poe scooped up what remained of his work and now officially represents him. I am told that there is not much work to be had, although the gallery received a phone call recently from a British woman, the widow of an art collector. She wanted to get rid of the twenty-some pieces in her possession. The estate was not even aware that this many pieces were owned by a single person. I love how artworks can disappear and reappear mysteriously.

Mariah and Jesse

No comments:

Post a Comment